Once you send a patent application for an invention at the US Patent and Trademark office, your patent is heavily scrutinized by the patent examiner in order to ensure that your invention does not already exist. However, before you file your patent application form to describe about your product in a detailed manner, you should ensure that it is something unique and hence this would also ensure that your patent will not be rejected after a long wait. You can simply better your chances of approval by following certain rules that have been set up related to filing of the patent application.
- The most initial activity would be to search to see whether the invention that you are patenting already exists or not. Patents can be quite easily searched on the US Patent and Trademark Office website.
- Apart from the USPTO website, there are also some other websites that allow you to look up prior patents to products. In fact Google has a free patent search, which is quite easy to use and is also detailed.
In order to file patent application form for your invention, you can quite easily follow the below mentioned guidelines:
- Go to the USPTO website and print out a copy of their online patent forms. You can also hire a patent attorney that can work with you in order to file patent application in a seamless manner.
- The next step would be gather all the information about your invention and pin it down on paper. This information would include the title, background, summary, and also the description of your product. Make sure that you also mention your research skills for the background section in order to prove how you have improved on an existing product.
- It is recommended to spend some additional time with your attorney while filling the claims section. In this section, you would be mentioning in detailed sentences that list everything about your invention and also the reasons that explains its uniqueness.
- Do not forget to include drawings about your invention. Most of the people usually hire an artist in order to draw the specifications of their invention. However, a simple drawing shows the working of your invention is quite acceptable.
- Once you have completed filling all the necessary details in your patent application form, you can post your application to the USPTO office along with the necessary amount of fee that is required to be paid with your application.